Katie had her first ER visit today.
Short story: mild concussion--lots of vomiting but clear head CT
Long story: While playing in the sprinklers, Katie ran inside to get a toy. Boom, crack, head on wood floor, lots of crying. I consoled and let her play more. We cleaned up to go to Walmart for Father's Day gift, cards, meal supplies. Katie complained of a headache and was fussy. But onward. We got the gift and were at the crowded card aisle (my fault for waiting until the last minute) when Katie threw up everywhere. Yuck!
With the help of a friend that was at the store (X-ray tech), I made the decision to take her to the ER. So got her and the boys home and Katie into new clothes. Called Paul (on his way home from the temple with the youth) and headed to the hospital. Fortuately, it's a small town and our house is 2 minutes from Walmart and the hospital (which is next to Walmart). A less-active member was working the admit desk (yeah) and we were just finishing the papers when our Home Teacher and 2 other members of the ward walked in to give Katie a blessing. Paul's van-full had been busy on their cells! Poor Katie threw up 3 more times in the ER but was a trooper. She even told me before it happened so I was able to get her to the sink. Yeah Katie! She held still for the CT and finally she was allowed to go to sleep, so I watched The Princess Diaries on TV while we waited for enough time to pass.
She is home and doing great--color is back, smiling and talking, but not sleepy anymore... I always knew that she was going to be our first ER trip (except for me and my checkered OB history).
All in all, not a bad ER experience. Seen right away and only 2 1/2 hours start to finish. But better safe than sorry. Think of me at midnight, 1 a.m, when Katie is still awake because she napped.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
I've been thinking about you guys all night, since Jeremy got home and told me about you going to the ER with her. We were glad to get a call to know she was okay, but I've still been concerned. I'm glad that you didn't have to be there all night or anything. For your sake, I hope that you are not still up with her to read this right now, as I should be in bed by now and know that you would be if you could. (I hope that made sense.) Anyway, I hope Katie feels better very quickly.
Did they give any directions for her care? Anything specific you are supposed to do or that she is not supposed to do? Just curious about that kind of thing. I know going to sleep is an issue with concussions, but you already took care of that at the ER. Aside from that, what do you do or not do?
Good luck! I hope you get a night's sleep--even better if it's a good one! :-)
Oh no, I am so sorry! I hope she is feeling better soon and that you were not up all night long.
Glad you have joined us - now I can stalk you! It really is a great way to keep up.
I hope Katie is doing much better! How have you made it this far and not had any ER trips??? That is amazing!
I'm so glad she is ok. That is scary. we've had a few close calls like that too. NO FUN!!! Yeah for the priesthood! :)
Post a Comment